In 1936 the last passenger train ran between Harlingen and Stiens and twenty-two years later a widow with twelve children took up temporary residence in the abandoned railway station of Tzummarum. Her stay turned out to be a little more permanent, because the old lady only left in 2002, when she was well into her nineties. She left the building in near-original state; even the garden fences and the public convenience building were still intact. Using old drawings and photographs the fully original village station, that only had a second and third class waiting room, could be restored. The building is now used as an office.